Nearly everyone uses lamps for reading or adding ambiance to the room. If you are like most people, you probably use a commercial lamp from a retail store and have never made a lamp of your own. This project teaches you how to make your own inspirational lamp that is safe to assemble and use in your home.
- Bottle Lamp Kit
- Large Liquor or Wine Bottle
- Old Magazines
- Craft Glue
- Fixative Spray
- Tweezers (optional)
- Paper Plate
- Browse magazines for brightly colored images, phrases and words that express your theme. For an uplifting and inspirational lamp, you will want positive images and motivational or positive words and phrases. You can often find descriptive, persuasive and motivational wording in advertisements or in headlines. It may take you several days to gather enough words and images to cover the lamp.
- Choose four to six large images, such as a beautiful sunset, an ocean scene or a wooded glen. These will provide the background of your lamp and should be large enough to cover nearly the entire bottle. Keep in mind that the background images will show between your words and phrases and influence the final color scheme of the lamp.
- Wash and dry the bottle you intend to use for the lamp.
- Pour white craft glue in a paper plate.
- Dip the back of the images in the glue to coat them lightly. Press them onto the bottle, smoothing out any wrinkles as you work.
- Begin adding words and phrases on top of the background images. You may wish to create phrases or sentence from the individual words.
- Continue pasting on new words and images, overlapping the edges of other words and images until the entire bottle is covered and you are satisfied with the appearance of your lamp. If you have already identified favorite sayings or images, save them for last so that they will appear prominently on your lamp.
- Set the lamp in a well-ventilated area where it will not be disturbed and allow it to dry. Drying may take anywhere from a few hours to several days, depending on the amount of glue you used, the density of the paper and how many layers of paper there are on each section.
- Spray the lamp with clear acrylic or fixative once it has dried completely.
Assembling Your Lamp
If you haven't done so already, now is a good time to buy your lamp kit. You can find them at your local home improvement store. You will need a lamp kit for a bottle lamp. Look for one that has the cord extending from the socket, as these do not require drilling a hole in the bottle.
- Position the socket into the opening of your bottle.
- Adjust it so that it fits snugly and does not wiggle. You may need to adjust the thickness of the cork around the short rod at the base of the socket.
- Secure it in place with tape, if necessary.
- Screw in a light bulb and add the lampshade.
- Plug the lamp into a wall socket.
Your new lamp is safe to use under normal circumstances, but there are some recommended safety precautions you should follow.
- Do not use an extension cord for your lamp on a long-term basis. Extension cords are meant to be a temporary solution and are not meant for extended use. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), extension cords are responsible for approximately 3,300 home fires each year. If you lack outlets in your home or office, call an electrician to install new outlets or rewire your room so you have the proper outlets for your lamp.
- Place your lamp on a flat surface where it cannot tip or fall.
- Do not place your lamp near water or in an area where it will get wet.
Making your own inspirational lamp can be a lot of fun and even makes a thoughtful gift for that special someone on your list. When making a lamp for another person, always consider his or her likes when choosing images and sayings.